Saturday, August 2, 2014

2014 US Open Day 5

It was a strange day that ended with a bad loss.

The New Jersey State Chess Federation listed me as an alternate delegate.  I asked them to do this because as of Thursday, I didn't think we had any delegates from New Jersey.   I turned out to be wrong, but that is okay.

Most of my friends in the New Jersey chess scene, the CrossFit scene, Ultimate Frisbee, work, & other interests & places probably would not describe me as a boring person.  However, during the delegates meeting, I felt like the most boring person in the room.  It seems like most of the delegates talked multiple times throughout committee reports, motions, amendments, etc.  Some delegates did strange stuff - several were on laptops surfing the USCF Forums, one was cutting nails (I heard the nail cutter, sadly & disgustingly), side conversations were drowning out the speakers in the back.  We only got through 3 of the 7 delegates agenda pages with two sessions down & one session to go.

I found the Uno restaurant I wanted to go to yesterday, where I ended up at Twin Peaks instead.  I looked at the create a deep dish pizza section & realized that pepperoni, chicken, & hamburger were available as toppings.  Since I was allowed three toppings, I put all of those on & ordered a chocolate dessert drink to go with it.

There were trolley issues getting to & leaving Uno.  The break of the delegates session was roughly 12pm.  I got to Uno at 1pm, & at 155pm, the trolley text said 41 & 54 minutes.  So I walked the 2+ miles back & was 30 minutes late to the second session.

I forgot to mention in the delegates summary of the two sessions that it felt strange that several times, a presenter modified his/her own motion before presenting it to the delegates.  All delegates received a delegate book which contains the motions intended to be introduced.  But more than half of them were amended by the original sponsor/co-sponsor!  I think that's strange.

After the session, I went up to my room & got downstairs to the playing room.  I ran into the Executive Director of the USCF along the way.  She was really nice & thanked me for my feedback on the USCF Website.  She promised to talk to me tomorrow about it.

The game itself was strange.  I developed a small stomachache in the first ten moves that may have been caused by the dessert drink.  But I digress.  He played the Scotch game, & despite my knight vs. his Bishop, I seemed to get a better game because his pressure wasn't much.  I briefly toyed with forcing a repetition of position on the 21st move, which he says he would have accepted given the tournament situation.  Both of us had 4 points after 7 rounds.  However, I correctly thought that I should try to win this.  Unfortunately, I hurried my knight to a good square only to overlook another exchange sacrifice.  This time, the Bishop springs to life, & I end up having only a Rook for the Queen, which then got picked off.

Well see what tomorrow brings.  I need to win to finish with a plus score, & must avoid losing to finish with a negative score.  The updated pgn link is posted below.

KEC's US Open Games - Rounds 1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment