Sunday, April 17, 2016

State #12 - Missouri

There are two games in this post I will show you.  One is my Round 4 win, & another is a 9-move miniature that happened on the board next to me in Round 3.  (Names in Game 2 have been withheld from this post, but I have played the losing player in a previous tournament back when he was a C player.)




I didn't do great in the tournament (2 wins, 3 losses), but at least I avoided upset losses.

World Chess Hall of Fame
The World Chess Hall of Fame was a fun stop.  They showcased the largest chess piece in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records, at 14'7" tall & 6' wide at the base.  Inside the first floor was the exhibition titled Ladies’ Knight: A Female Perspective on Chess.

Inside this exhibition was different chessboards & even one video, containing a variety of themes, all made by female artists.  It was really fascinating to be able to go through this exhibit & see the different ways that the artists interpreted the game that I love to play.  I didn't take a lot of pictures, but you can see the pictures through the museum's link Ladies' Knight exhibition.  (Warning: Link is not safe for work & not safe for anyone who cannot drink.  Link may expire May 1 when it gets moved to the exhibition archive.)






Milkshake Place & Gilbert Gottfried
After doing Open WOD 16.4 at CrossFit St. Louis (173 scaled reps, 12:29 tiebreak time), I visited a place called Crown Candy Kitchen (Crown Candy Kitchen's Website).  I found this place via an article that my sister sent me detailing the best milkshake in every state in America.  I figure that I would go to this place & drink it.  It was really thick, & it took me 45 minutes to finish one.

I bring this up because of their policy since 1913: If you order 5 milkshakes at once during a non-busy period, & finish them within 30 minutes, you don't have to pay for them at all.  Link to the 5 Malt Challenge.  They have a plaque with all the successful people who did it.  The record holder did it in 2 minutes & 29 seconds!!

If that wasn't wacky enough, my waitress thought I looked like Gilbert Gottfried.  Don't worry folks, I'm not that funny, & I definitely don't promote problem children into the 6th grade in order to get rid of them from my school!

Other tidbits:

Panera Bread is called St. Louis Bread Company - It was founded in Saint Louis.  I was confused for a bit when I saw the Panera logo but not the Panera name.

My waitress at Pi Pizzeria looked quite a bit like Mayim Bialik.  I figured no harm no foul on the Gilbert Gottfried mention, so I told her as much.  She was confused at first until I explained which current famous TV show she's a character on.  She was definitely fantastic as a waitress the entire time.  I would definitely go back, as the service was good & so was my Kirkwood Deep Dish Pizza.  They also have pi glasses, which are awesome.  #fiftystatesofchess

No comments:

Post a Comment