Wednesday, July 30, 2014

2014 US Open Day 2

I played a Master (2200+) in Round 2.  He chose a line in the Scotch Gambit that was very unfamiliar, turning it into a position more commonly seen in the Ruy Lopez.  I got my center solidified at first, but then I overextended it & watched it collapse slowly but surely.  Even Bishops of opposite colors with a Rook on each side can't save a 3-pawn deficit.

In Round 3, I played a 1700+ player.  I declined an invitation into the French defense & then he declined an invitation into the Nimzo Indian, so we ended up in the Queen's Gambit Declined.  In this game, I couldn't get any middlegame advantage, & then I failed to get the ending I wanted.  My opponent missed a chance to maximize his winning chances, & then our exposed kings lead us to the repetition of position.

The full score of both games will be available soon...I am having connectivity issues on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment