Tuesday, September 3, 2024

State No. 40 - Colorado

So, for the 40th state in my #fiftystatesofchess journey as a 40-year old, I spent a portion of the Labor Day weekend (& a few days before) in Colorado. The oddity was, I intended to rent a car for this trip, but there were no rental cars available since this was a major holiday & I waited too late to try to rent a car.

As Denver is at high altitude (It is called the Mile High City, you know), my uber driver & the front desk both nicely reminded me to drink lots of water.   

After checking into the hotel I was staying at on Thursday afternoon, I walked over to Amigos Mexican Food for lunch.  It was odd to see a Mexican place only open until 3pm on weekdays & 2 or 3pm on weekends, but as the trip passed on, the amount of pedestrian traffic in the area seemed to be minimal.  The quesadillas I had were pretty good, I wondered if any of the other chess players walked over on Saturday or Sunday for lunch.  After walking over to Target for some missing supplies, passing a Greenwood Village Traffic Signal with the City logo on the overhead mast arm street name sign, & back to the hotel for a short rest, I walked over to Method CrossFit.



I left my sports goggles back at the hotel, so it was kind of amusing to see me work out sans glasses or with the sunglasses. (if the sunglasses break, that's okay.  Not so if I break my regular glasses...) I felt the effects of the altitude in the first round of 12 in the metcon, but I fought to finish the 9 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls & sneak in 3 V-Ups before the timecap.  The +33 means I had 33 reps left in the workout.

I walked over to Schlotzsky's for dinner as my body wanted to get back to the hotel & just rest.  (I had a several nights of not great sleep before the trip, which probably played a part.)

On Friday morning, I got a lyft to Atomic Cowboy, home of Denver Biscuit Company.  (there's a few such places, so look southwest of Denver Botanical Gardens & south of the US Mint)  The Dahlia is a breakfast sandwich that consists of a giant sausage patty, fried egg, apple butter and maple syrup. 

The Dahlia

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting them pour syrup over the sandwich instead of getting it on the side.  After trying to eat the sandwich with barehands, & realizing the syrup felt like glue, I ended up having to eat the sandwich with a fork and knife.  It was still a pretty good sandwich!

I realized the U.S. Mint was closed, so my next stop was Denver Botanic Gardens. 

I did however, see some parking signs I had never seen before, so I took pictures of these highly unusual signs.

TV Channel has their own parking spot on the street.

Mayor's Staff has their own parking spot on the street.

I never heard of a TV Channel getting its own parking spot on the street, though I am not surprised Mayor's Staff does.  I am surprised that they are next to each other.

I didn't take a lot of pictures at Denver Botanic Gardens, but it was a very satisfying, relaxing visit.  Apparently, Bonsai artists train & style trees, & the tree I took a picture of in this Instagram post is roughly the same age I am!  In multiple parts of the Gardens, there were volunteers taking care of different plants.  While I only spent an hour there, anyone with greener thumbs (or Poison Ivy) could easily spend hours there.

I next took a lyft to Colorado Railroad Museum.  On the way there, I took a picture of a blank out sign configuration I had never seen before.  (I work as a traffic/transportation engineer, so I do take pictures of unusual signs, signals, & markings on occasion)

No straight movement as a train is coming.

I took a lot of pictures at the Colorado Railroad Museum but I never made an Instagram post of it.  I will fail to limit it to 10 pictures or less here.

Morse Code Picture

Signals early version for railroads!

Kitchen Railroad Car




They do have a model train set where the model train society can enter the grounds & watch it go.  Thomas the Tank Engine is there, but there are other model trains as well.  There is another model train set inside.


Post Office Railroad Car

What the inside of a post office railroad car might look like

Maintenance Workers Railroad Car

Railway Turntable 

Another postal railroad car


Pushbutton for Wigwag signal below

Last wig-wag signal used at a US Railroad At-Grade Crossing

Video of Wig-wag signal activated.

I will talk about the lack of smoking, which I like, in a moment.

It was very hard to find a Colorado State Route sign for some reason on this trip, so this is the closest one I found, on the way from Colorado Railroad Museum to Larimer Square.

I dropped by Larimer Square next, trying to find the statue that was marked on Google Maps.

Welcome to the City of Denver

Denver overhead mast arm street name sign.  City Logo on left of the green sign.

Strangely enough, I smelled smoke near here despite this sign.

After finding the stature, I walked over near 16th Street Mall & ate at a sandwich shop called Ike's Love & Sandwiches.  I ordered a Mario sandwich (#85 on the menu).  Halfway through the sandwich, I got the body is overwhelmed feeling, I want to go back to the hotel room & rest, so that's what I did after finishing lunch.

After not moving much for a few hours, I walked over to Viewhouse and ate dinner.  I thoroughly enjoyed the chicken appetizer & the burger I ate.

I want to discuss the smoking a bit.  I was expecting to smell a lot more cigarette smoke & weed smoke on this trip, even being warned by a new friend that I may experience a lot of smoke.  However, I was in places that didn't allow any smoking, & walked near a place that was near a non-smoking part.  I actually smelled very little smoke, which was really nice.  Now, if I had done more walking within the city limits, I am sure my opinion would have changed.

On Saturday morning, I took a lyft to Snooze, an A.M. Eatery.  You see, I loved Snooze when I was in Phoenix, & was happy to return to Snooze in a different location.  I had a french toast item with blueberries & it was great.  Strangely, my Lyft Driver picking me up dropped someone off & then got stuck next door for over 10 minutes trying to get out.

After I got back, I picked up my chess stuff & went down to the tournament room dressed as Hint Toad to start the tournament versus the top seed 2334 on Board 1.  The game was sadly not competitive as he broke through & the game ended in 19 moves.

In Round 2 I faced off versus a 1753, and had to sacrifice my Queen for a Rook & Bishop.  However, I hung around long enough, & after he missed a possible mating attack, I coordinated my pieces better & successfully sacrificed an exchange to start a mating attack. I won't show the whole game, but I will show the key positions & the final moves.

Round 2 - Chen-Simberg after 14. ...Rd8

Rather than drop the Bishop, I grabbed his Bishop & d8-Rook for the Queen.

Round 2 - Chen-Simberg after 39. ...Qc5+ 40. Kg2

I remember thinking for the last few moves how could I convince Black to move his e-pawn, as I had a prepared mating combination going if he did.  He finally obliged with 40. ...Nc8-d6 41. R2xd6! Black's best try is probably to try for a perpetual with 41. ... Qc2+ 42. Rd2 Qe4+ when I have to give away the h-pawn to avoid perpetual check.  But he played 41. ... exd6 & resigned after 42. Bh6+!  I will let you try to work out the final checkmate & provide the answer near the end of the post.

In Round 3, I made a new friend in Ben DeGuire after the game.  I had Black in a Petroff where both of us castled long.  What made the game interesting was he had one of the worst bishops ever, but I couldn't finish the win because I never saw the finishing route & had to settle for a draw.  I don't feel quite as bad as I normally would about it, because I knew I had the better game after establishing his tall pawn & I had something much worse happen to me later.

The game of this blogpost will be Round 4, my win against Brad Lundstrom.  (His published rating for this tournament is actually my birth year).

[Event "Colorado Open"] [Site "Greenwood Village, CO"] [Date "2024.09.01"] [Round "4"] [White "Chen, Kevin E."] [Black "Lundstrom, Brad"] [Result "1-0"] [ECO "B51"] [WhiteElo "1838"] [BlackElo "1984"] [Annotator "Chen, Kevin E."] [PlyCount "83"] [EventDate "2024.08.31"] [EventType "swiss"] [EventRounds "5"] [EventCountry "USA"] {My opponent's listed tournament rating is my birth year. I don't know how many times this has happened before.} 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ Nd7 4. O-O a6 5. Bxd7+ Bxd7 6. c4 {I don't have to worry about a light square bishop being blocked in the Maroczy bind setup after trading it away.} g6 7. Nc3 Bg7 8. d4 cxd4 9. Nxd4 Nf6 10. h3 O-O 11. Be3 ({Does} 11. a4 {stop ...b5? & does it allow Black to do something else?}) 11... b5 12. Qd3 (12. cxb5 axb5 13. Ndxb5 Bxb5 14. Nxb5 Nxe4) 12... bxc4 13. Qxc4 Qa5 14. Rac1 {[#]} Rfc8 ({Brad thought about the fork trick here, which I didn't think worked.} 14... Nxe4 15. Nxe4 d5 16. Qc5 {& Black can't take the knight since his Queen is unguarded. Trading Queens allows White to recapture with the Knight.}) 15. Qd3 Rab8 16. Rc2 Bb5 {I actually questioned this move as I wondered why Black wanted to close the b-file where his Rook was on.} 17. Ndxb5 axb5 18. Rfc1 h5 {Black was right to be scared about a possible Rook check followed by Bh6.} 19. a3 Nd7 $6 {I know Black wanted to redeploy the knight & clear the Bishop's diagonal, but letting my play Nd5 was a mistake. I wonder what else Black could try to do in this position.} 20. Nd5 {I think letting me come here with no opposition was a mistake.} Rxc2 (20... Qd8 $4 21. Rxc8 Rxc8 22. Rxc8 Qxc8 23. Nxe7+ $1 {nabs the Queen}) 21. Rxc2 Qe1+ {I was wondering what this check was going to do.} (21... Nc5 22. Nxe7+ Kh7 23. Qxd6 {when I am threatening both Qxb8 & Rxc5 & is why I kept my Queen on the d-file.}) 22. Kh2 e6 {this should have been played before redeploying the knight, even if you had to protect d6 with another piece} 23. Ne7+ Kh7 24. Nc6 Rc8 ({When I ran the Stockfish engine kibitzer, it suggested the first few moves presented here to address the trapped Queen} 24... Ne5 {[#]} 25. Qxd6 (25. Nxe5 $2 Bxe5+ {is annoying}) 25... Nxc6 26. Rxc6) 25. Rc1 $1 {[#] Queen is trapped!} Qxc1 26. Bxc1 Rxc6 27. Be3 {Now, I came back from a similar material deficit in Round 2 to win, so I know this position still has difficulties. I want to trade dark bishops & then chop the important pawns in his position so that my connectors queenside can win any long game & he runs out of checkmatiing chances.} Ne5 (27... Bxb2 $2 28. Qxb5 {hits three pieces at once. At least one drops.}) 28. Qxb5 Rc2 29. b3 {removing Rxb2/Bxb2 chances later.} h4 30. Qb6 Nd3 31. Bd4 {stop Be5+} Bh6 32. Be3 {stop Bf4+} Bg7 {"How do I proceed without repeating this position?"} 33. Kg1 {Rc1+ is guarded.} Ra2 34. Bd4 {I'm okay with a Bishop trade.} Bh6 35. Qd8 {[#] with the Bishop guarding Ra1+, I have a free move to hit important structural pawns like d6 & h4 while simultaneously threatening Qh8#} e5 (35... Bg7 36. Qxh4+ Kg8 (36... Bh6 $4 37. Be3 g5 38. Bxg5 $18) 37. Qd8+ Kh7 (37... Bf8 38. Be3 {has to make Black nervous}) 38. Bxg7 Kxg7 39. Qxd6 $18) 36. Be3 Nf4 37. Qxd6 (37. Qxh4 g5 {may be hairy}) 37... Ra1+ 38. Kh2 Ne2 39. Bxh6 Kxh6 40. Qxe5 {I am starting to breathe easier now that f4 is not an automatic square for Black.} Re1 41. Qf6 (41. f4 Kh7 42. Qf6 Ng3 {makes me scared initially, but I would have found} 43. Qxh4+ {picking up the support pawn & knight. Still, I prefer not giving him a chance to play this...}) 41... Kh5 42. f4 {[#] (Speaking of the f4 square) Now. With the double threat of Qh8# & Qg5#, there is no time for the ...Ng3 variation mentioned earlier. He resigned here.} (42. f4 Nxf4 $8 {only move to stop checkmate} 43. Qxf4 Rb1 (43... g5 44. Qxf7+ Kh6 45. Qf6+ Kh7 46. Qxg5 {& pretty much all I have to worry about is avoiding stalemate, which won't be difficult here.}) (43... Rd1 44. Qf3+) (43... Ra1 44. Qe5+) 44. Qg4+ Kh6 45. Qxh4+) 1-0

So, entering Round 5, I played against a 1583 person that was playing well above that rating.  He drew an 1886, beat a 1967, & beat a 1768 in Rounds 1, 2, & 4 respectively.  I played well enough for most of the game to earn a draw & get out of Colorado with a winning record, but then I blundered in the worst way in the ending, trying a pawn sacrifice too late to try to win, & turning an easy draw into a hopeless loss.  The Colorado State Chess Club might publish that game (& they have the right to - they have copies of all scoresheets & it is one of their players scoring three upset wins in the championship section) but it may be a long time before I willingly talk about that game again.

Thanks to that loss, I finish Colorado with an even record.

In addition to Ben DeGuire, I made another new friend in John Brezina.  He takes photographs for chess tournaments in Colorado & across the world.  You can find him at the Parker Chess Club Website.

Photo during Round 2, taken by Photographer John Brezina.

I finished with 2 wins, 2 losses, & a draw.  22nd/46 in the Championship position.  Well, at least I had advantage in the last 4 games, so there's still some good chess play left, I just need to string it together better.

Here are the updated #fiftystatesofchess maps, made with aid from mapchart.net




The tournament was run really well, & there were a lot of players at this tournament.  (175 I heard from the TD).  One of the lower sections was actually using accelerated pairings for the first two rounds, so that was fun to hear.  The DGT boards worked on the back screen so we could see the top boards from each section without having to stand crowding the top boards.  

Other Places local to the tournament that I ate at that I liked: Anthony's Pizza & Pasta (the Chicken Parm Hero was fantastic, & Honey Basil Express Loved their Honey BBQ Chicken & Sweet & Sour Chicken.

I conclude with this strange airport story: Security at Denver International Airport flagged my carry-on because one of them didn't recognize chess pieces.  The last security person apologized for that when he gave me back my bag after looking at the image & clearing it.

Answer: 42. ...Kg8 43. Rg7+ Kf8/Kh8 44. Ng6# finishes Round 2

And that concludes my 40th state!

No comments:

Post a Comment